Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Resting, Recollecting, Reflecting

It's been 11 days since our jubilant arrival in St. Augustine. Not all of my stuff is put away. Not all the mail has been sorted and responded to. My to do list for the days and weeks ahead is growing longer as I try to get my head back home!

Katherine writes up a long to do list after she arrived home.

My body is thrilled to be back in my own bed and close to dear Jack. I'm amazed by the interest of so many people, people I don't even know. They don't want to hear much, but they do want to express congratulations. So nice.

The question most often asked is, "Did you ever think you couldn't go on? Could not or would not finish?" The answer is, "NEVER, NOT ONCE!" The most salient memories are of WOCN members, friends, and family who turned out at the beginning in San Diego, all along the way, and at the end. You know who you are and where you were to provide encouragement, support, smiles, hugs, help cleaning the SAG Wagon, help with washing and drying the dinner dishes, wound dressings, cool drinks, fruits, coffee, sweet treats, and contributions to Cycling for Scholarships fund. I cherish each memory of your collective kindness. I do want to give a special thank you to the WOCN leadership, the staff in our National Office, and Robbie Sharp, BSN, CWOCN, who mobilized most of Florida!

I will be able to do anything I set my mind to in the future if I have God's blessing and dozens of people lined up to help me get the job done; this I know for sure. In the case of this wondrous journey, we relied on support provided by so many people, too numerous to count and in roles too diverse to delineate. I learned for certain that there is no such thing as self-sufficiency.

Until the WOCN Conference concludes on June 8, I will plan to post a few more recollections and reflections. In the meantime, my coach insists I rest! Thank you for continuing this amazing trip with me.

Dr. Jeter Recap

1 comment:

  1. I am as interested in your post-tour comments and thoughts as I was in the day-to-day reporting from the road. No matter how you slice and dice it, that was an amazing trip and you are an amazing group of women.

    ReplyDelete