Thursday, March 3, 2011

According to Katherine: Back in the Saddle


When non-cyclists look at a rider they see the bike, the flashy lycra clothes (or not), the helmet, the look of joy and sometimes, the sweat. What they don't see is the saddle – a.k.a., the bicycle seat. When recreational cyclists contemplate long rides they might do or that other, not-so-sane, people are doing, they wonder, usually out loud, how someone could stay in the saddle that long. The seat, as I refer to it, is, indeed, the most critical part of a long– and sometimes a short – ride. It must fit the bottom perfectly. The ischial tuberosities, or sitting bones, must be positioned exactly where the seat is designed for them to rest. The front part of the seat is designed to accommodate the soft tissue, or “private parts.” A cycle shop employee, usually male, will discreetly inquire if the pain or friction or discomfort is in the area of the sit bones or the soft tissue. I have been through a number of seats, and have settled on one that seems to be perfect for me. It’s made by Specialized, and women-specific.

After the seat fit has been resolved, then there’s the challenge of eliminating pressure and friction. Pressure is relieved (slightly) by bike shorts that have a chamois, which is really a contoured foam pad. Most are shaped like an incontinence undergarment. In the Terry catalog, there are illustrations of several shapes and descriptions of which shape is best for which kind of ride or body type. Many women recoil when they hear that they must not wear underwear between the body and the chamois. In fact, it is critical to eliminate that piece of clothing. It simply invites more places for rubbing and friction.

Finally, I had to decide whether Udder Butter, Bag Balm, or any one of myriad ointments, creams, lotions or powders suited me best as an anti-friction agent. I've tried dozens of them, and settled on two powders. One is the Anti Monkey Butt Powder and the other is, believe it or not, Gold Bond Medicated Powder. It was recently recommended by a female long distance cyclist to thwart the discomfort of moisture. I have been using it and will continue to on very hot days on the cross-country, but I know every woman can appreciate that the tingly sensation from Gold Bond Medicated Powder is best confined to the rear!

I was riding one hot afternoon last summer with one of our grown sons, and I told him I’d like to stop at the next rest area to powder. He looked at me in disbelief and said, “Mom, this isn’t a beauty contest. You can do the lipstick and makeup thing when we finish.” Obviously, he uses one of the creams or lotions, or he would have known what I meant!

Are you an avid biker or jogger? Tell me about what techniques help you stay comfortable when you’re in the saddle or out for a long run.

2 comments:

  1. On the saddle question, I like my Bontrager WSD saddle. It has a slightly wider back area, not wide enough to rub the back of your thigh, but you know the wider sit bones of women. Plus it has the cut-a-way to allow a little less pressure in the "soft tissue".

    I do Bag Balm during the ride and Gold Bond Medicated Powder after the ride. I do long distance and multi-day rides and I've tried it all and this combination works well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Bonnie! Hope you'll continue to follow the Cycling for Scholarships blog throughout the tour!

    ReplyDelete