Monday, March 21, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 15 Recap

It was 37 degrees when everyone headed off just before 8:00 a.m. for an-all day climb to the top of Emory Pass. I was so pumped after Tuesday's successful climb out of Lordsburg that I was ready for this one.



However, today I'm driving the SAG Wagon to support the valiant efforts of our riders. It's like eating an elephant -- one bite at a time. Some are stopping often to take pictures. Some are stopping every 15 minutes to breathe, and give their legs a minute to recover.

At an average speed of 3.5 to six miles per hour, these 40.4 miles take a long time to ascend! The eight-mile down hill requires technical expertise I don't have yet. A couple of the women chose not to do it, and I was delighted to drive them down.

The scenery today was spectacular! The smell of the pines was refreshing.

8200 foot elevation. Absolutely breathtaking.

The Black Range Inn where we stayed was as unusual as any B&B I've ever visited.


Our proprietor served turkey, dressing, fresh broccoli, and warm freshly baked bread. She had delicious store-bought vegetarian tamales for Lisa and me.

We slept fitfully in our bunk beds! 694.5 miles behind us. 2,405.5 to pedal. 43 days to go.   

No comments:

Post a Comment