Tuesday, March 15, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 11 Recap

We started our day at 7:20 a.m. It was a brisk 54 degrees, and we all dressed very warmly with leg & arm warmers, vests, jackets and full-fingered gloves for our fast 20-mile descent out of Globe. By the time we'd ridden 15 miles, we were ready to strip down.

Our road today stretched as far as the eye could see. The expansive vistas sometimes bring tears to my eyes.
Come mid-afternoon, the temperature had risen to 85 degrees, and we were hot. Mile 68 promised a big treat at Taylor Freeze: A root beer float.


But we had an unexpected "oops!" at mile 65. Marge and I both hit a big deep patch of gravel, and fell over. I need a WOC nurse for my forearm and elbow!


A truck going the opposite direction made a quick U-turn to help us. The uniformed angels got out of their truck, and offered a wad of napkins for the blood and a ride to Taylor Freeze. They worked for the State Prison Department!

We got our root beer float, put our bikes on the SAG Wagon and rode in the car the last 10 miles. I administered my own wound care when we got in, and don't feel too banged up tonight. My computer says I burned 3,200 calories today.

I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast, one-and-a-half peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, some nuts, some delicious wedges of Marlene Kropf's grapefruit, lots of energy drink, Hammer Gel, quarts of water, a BBQ sandwich made with tofu and slaw, plus macaroni and cheese for dinner. Lights out by 9:00. 524.4 miles behind us, with 2,575.6 to pedal. 47 days to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your OK! Glad to see you made it to the hotel safely!

    ReplyDelete