Thursday, March 24, 2011

According to Katherine: Training for a Healthier Tomorrow

Training for a cross-country bike tour is intense. Personal trainers can be intimidating during a workout. So, imagine your trainer is a retired Marine Sergeant Major. Jimmy Gibson, a devoted coach, is just that, which I must say, is pretty intimidating.  Thank goodness he only sent weekly training schedules, rather than training with me! 



He based the exercises on heart rate. In order to determine if I was completing the exercise properly, I wore a heart rate monitor – not in anyway am I lazy, but I prefer this than having to count myself! He switched the training between endurance and strength.

I used videos to supplement the workouts from Jimmy. One I particularly enjoyed was On the Road with Coach Troy: Rides So Realistic You’ll Get Bugs in Your Teeth! It’s a pretty realistic ride, with beautiful scenery; fortunately though, no bugs in my teeth! This workout was intense, but I believe it helped on the tour with parts where I struggle, including pushing uphill.

Aside from training on the bike, I enjoyed skiing every morning. And every morning, I had to be disciplined about getting off the mountain and on the noon bus home in order to make time for bike training. After making it home, I ate lunch and then hopped on my bike. I trained six days a week from 50 minutes to 1.75 hours a day. One day of rest suited me well -- I usually have too many things to do to take a break!

1 comment:

  1. Your dedication and endurance are pretty amazing! That is a really hard core training program - and it seems to have done a GREAT job of preparing you for this trip.

    ReplyDelete