Thursday, March 17, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 13 Recap

Today was our first day of daylight saving time -- barely light at 7:30 a.m! It was a very cold (37 degrees), so we had numerous layers on when we started. With the exception of my 70th birthday ride with family, close friends and fundraisers, this had to have been the most exciting riding day I've ever had!

We climbed 26 miles out of Lordsburg, NM to the Continental Divide at 6,355 feet.


There were 20.6 more miles of some big downs, and seemingly-longer ups, for a total of 46.6 miles to the Comfort Inn in Silver City. That ride took us 7.5 hours, but we finished strong.

The weather was cool, never over 66 degrees. The winds were not at our backs, but they were never too bad.

I ate two hard boiled eggs, and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Every 10 miles, we stopped to replenish with nuts, part of an energy bar, energy drink, Hammer Gel and Endurolytes. Once we got settled into the room, we rode 1.3 miles into town to get my bike gears worked on, and Marge's problems with her cleats and pedals sorted out, at the Gila Hike & Bike Shop. That meant we had to walk 1.3 miles back uphill to the motel, since we left our bikes at the shop. 

When Linda served our dinner, I replaced the calories I burned with one serving of a delicious spinach salad, filled with lots of healthy fruits, and two helpings of delectable beans & cabbage (the vegetarian alternative to corned beef & cabbage) and bread pudding. Let me assure you, they were manly servings, too!

When I took a shower, I noticed there were four or five interesting new black, blotchy spots on both legs. I don't know if it's grease from my bicycle chain, new varicosities, or bruises from the fall the other day! I've already had a wonderfully reassuring consult from my beloved brother about the right hand numbness and the left Achilles tendon tightness, so I'll not bother him about this curiosity. 

646.1 miles, and two states behind us. 2453.9 miles to pedal. 45 days to go. Thank you ALL for making this epic journey with me!

2 comments:

  1. We are happy that things are going well and know that we are following along, day by day. Just be glad that you crossed the divide in New Mexico and not at Loveland Pass at 11,988 ft. (and snow there this morning, too).

    Lots of love,
    Ed and Margi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you are still going strong and still having FUN! you are a HERO!

    ReplyDelete