Friday, March 11, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 7 Recap

This day was made extra special by a WOC nurse.

It began at 4:45 a.m., when the low battery chirp of the smoke alarm woke us up at the Sheffler Motel in Salome, AZ. (The Sheffler Motel will be the subject of its very own coverage in due time.)

We started at 8:00 a.m., when it was an invigorating 51 degrees, and pedaled into the heat all day. It was 89 degrees when we arrived in Wickenburg -- but feels way hotter than that on the highway!

I had eggs for breakfast, and stopped for a milkshake at the Coyote Cafe in Aquila. I munched on high protein snacks, fresh fruit and potato chips every 10-20 miles, and drank gallons of water and energy drinks. Tonight's dinner by our WomenTours' chef was delectable: Lasagna, salad, garlic bread...and lemon squares baked today by Marlene Kropf, the WOC nurse who lives here and works at the Banner-Del E. Web Medical Center in nearby Sun City.


Marlene had painted a welcome sign, and put it on the highway on the western edge of town. All our riders were very impressed by my personal recognition.


Marlene called, and came to pick me up to go buy a new watch to replace mine (which died) and take some pictures with me. She picked grapefruits from the tree in her front yard, and brought them back for us to enjoy along theway. It was very gracious of Marlene and her mother to be so hospitable and helpful on our stopover here!

We are tired, but satisfied. After a good night's sleep, we should be ready for an early start for Phoenix tomorrow. 51 more days. 319.7 miles behind us, and 2,780.3 to go!


4 comments:

  1. How cool to have your own personal welcome committee! I love the pictures you put in your posts too, the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, I'm gonna let Dad write you a message...but before I do I must tell you that you have GOT to eat more! Darlin, you will be be a bag of bones when you roll into Florida if you don't start partakin of some more calories. I promise not to tell Stephen! On another note...what a wonderful thing to see all your wonderful sponsors...what great companies. I adore you and am so inspired. Hope you are getting mail...we'll keep it coming until you come home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, I don't know why this calls me ections, but it's your girl Sal....now...this note is from Dad's lips to your ears...and I quote " 35 degrees this morning on my four mile walk..almost finished the taxes, supper at Sal's tonight for tacos, Wil looks great and handles the lax stick very well. By the way, he's dropped golf for lacrosse. Sal and I are going to church tomorrow. I gave up you for Lent dear...and that has been tough! Duke won today! Will play against UNC for ACC title. Love you much. TM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a huge blast. ... Btw, I crashed my bike, messed up the derailleur, and Kathy thinks I broke my fingers. Note: Avoid RR tracks. Just sayin'. ... Don't crash. Only a couple thousand more miles to go! WHOOOOO-HOOO!

    ReplyDelete