Tuesday, March 15, 2011

According to Katherine: Diet Shmiet, I Enjoy Eating Healthy!



A healthy diet is extremely important. No dessert for me at the end of a meal; my 5’1” figure prevents me from consuming any extra calories. In order to keep healthy before, during and after my bike tour, I'm sticking with whole grains, proteins, fruits and vegetables. As a non-meat eater, fish becomes my substitute for protein.   

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but breakfast and I don’t get along. I just don’t like it. However, eating breakfast aids too much towards my health to skip it. I tend to stick to a Morningstar non-meat sausage patty, a piece of fruit and yogurt mixed with flaxseed or granola.  Sometimes, to switch it up, a peanut butter sandwich on a Pepperidge Farm 100-calorie Deli Round satisfies me. 

Depending on how hard I was hitting the slopes while training, and how hungry that made me, I had a half or whole peanut butter sandwich for lunch, along with string cheese, nuts, raisins and one cup of sugar-free apple cider. Usually, fish, a vegetable and a salad makes up dinner. I prefer wild-caught fish and shellfish. Non-meat stew and soup serve as alternatives for dinner.

What are your favorite healthy, energizing foods? Do you alter your diet when preparing for a bicycle tour, run or other athletic event?

No comments:

Post a Comment