Thursday, March 10, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 6 Recap

We left Blythe, CA at 8:00 this morning. It was 51 degrees and sunny, with 10 to 15 mph cross winds. (Thank goodness they weren't head winds!)

I was tempted to stop in to get the sand washed out of my hair!
We crossed into AZ five miles after we left the motel, so it became an hour later! We rode about 30 of today's 63.6 miles on I-10, dodging lethal tire shards and lots of bungee cords. (Really makes you wonder where the cargo is that the bungees were strapping down!) The traffic and noise from the 18-wheelers was deafening.

Yep, us and the big rigs will be high-balling east on I-10.
It was a relief to turn onto US 60 East. The desert was pretty hot -- mid-80s in the afternoon. However, it took us five hours & 38 minutes to complete the ride, so we started getting some cooler evening temperatures during the last five miles.

We arrived at our funny dilapidated old motel after 5:00 p.m. My computer says I burned over 3,000 calories today, but I sure didn't consume that many!

Our guides, Carol and Linda, explain the motel in Salome, AZ: "If you find a critter in your room, just flick it or kick it!" The motel is 60+ years old, with just a shower renovation in our room over those six decades!
For breakfast: Two hard-boiled eggs, and a half a bagel with cream cheese. For lunch, peanut butter and jelly. And a fabulous dinner by our chef, Linda. For me it included wedges of tofu in a peanut sauce, brown rice, cole slaw and fresh pineapple. Dessert was from Sweet Darlene's in Quartzsite, a town along the way -- a divine coconut cream pie. I consumed lots of nuts, energy bars, electrolyte drinks, Hammer Gel, Endurolytes and Recoverite at the end.

Met these snowbirds from Canada in Brenda, AZ. They think they're having all the fun in their snazzy little yellow ATV. We know we're having more fun than they are!
I felt very strong most of the day, but I am really tired and fairly sunburned tonight. I thought I had been slathering the sunscreen on often enough, but apparently not. I couldn't get over the RV Resorts dotting the hot, barren landscape -- all full of people from colder climates! 263 miles completed and 2,837 miles to go.
Dr. Jeter Day 6

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good day, but you KNOW you need more calories than that. Good on you for slathering the sunscreen, I am trying to get in that habit but after a lifetime of sun avoidance.....it's hard.

    Keep it up - you are doing great things, both for yourself and that scholarship fund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are on quite the adventure! Stay safe and remember you can never put on too much sunscreen!

    Hope your still having fun

    Donna

    ReplyDelete