Friday, April 1, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 27 Recap

After last night's thunderstorm, it was really cool this morning. As we stepped out of the door for breakfast, we were startled by chirps of alarm from a mama swallow of some sort, who was protecting her babies in their nest just above us.

After a breakfast of scrambled eggs, I made my PB&J for lunch and set off to ride the 39-miles of hills to Vanderpool, TX. The Texas Hill Country is just that! A few miles into the ride, I realized I was not able to get down into the "granny gear" I was going to need to be in to get up the long and sometimes steep grades ahead. Fortunately, one of the guides was cycling this morning. She got me shifted into the lowest gear in the front, and then I could shift up and down in the back. 

It was 52 degrees and overcast when we started, and the temperature dropped down to 47 degrees over the next hour. I was very cold some of the time, and put arm warmers on about half way through the day. I can't imagine how I would have sustained my energy had it been sunny and hot like it has been!

A surprisingly fine respite about a mile before the town of Leakey appeared like an oasis. It was a motorcycle club with a store for memorabilia and gear, a pavilion with table and chairs, a bar and restaurant and immaculate restrooms. The tattooed, leather-togged bikers were warm and welcoming. This was a great place to pause and regroup for the long and demanding climbs ahead.

A typical handsome Texas ranch gate.

Sometimes the grades were 11%-12%. Fortunately, there was minimal traffic on State Road 337, so it was okay to wobble and weave a little on the steepest parts. There were two long winding descents. I find it scary going down at a high rate of speed. I have to use my brakes more than I should!


The Fox Fire Cabin's office.

It was a great sense of accomplishment when I pulled into the Fox Fire Cabins. I enjoyed my PB&J, along with a jug of Recoverite, as soon as I got off my bike. 



There are about eight log cabins and a big house on the Sabinal River.


They are Texas Hill Country quaint. Ours has two bedrooms with a connecting bath, a living room and kitchen. All the furniture is wonderfully old and worn, circa 1940! The beds have fairly fresh quilts and soft tattered sheets on them. We found some old coffee in the cupboard and loved having that as an afternoon pick-me-up.


Linda, our chef and guide, served pot roast, mashed potatoes, grilled carrots, and cucumber salad for dinner. There was tofu and left over quinoa for Lisa and I. Dessert was s'mores over the fire but I didn't have any.

Tomorrow, we will cycle to Kerrville with plenty of hill-climbing on the way. The temperatures are predicted to be back up in the 80s after a chilly start. I will go directly to the bike shop so they can diagnose the gearing problem, and get my bike humming again. I'll pay them to clean it while it's there so I can really rest and relax on the rest day.

Two of my favorite men, my beloved Jack and my adorable brother John, will be waiting. Jack flew in from South Carolina and John flew in from Colorado to celebrate the mid-point of the trip with me. Now just how sweet is that?

We'll take Marge to our summer cabin just 13-miles down the road. Friday is a rest day and we're having a fun party with family and friends on the Guadalupe River.

1,504 miles behind us. 1,596 miles to pedal. 31 days to go.

1 comment:

  1. That sounded like a very satisfactory day. the "hills" slant more like mountains but you seem to have conquered them in grand style. The party sounds like a great way to spend a day "off".

    ReplyDelete