Tuesday, April 19, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 43 Recap

Thursday's trauma gave way to Friday's frustrations! Morning didn't go smoothly, so I gobbled some scrambled eggs while I packed and had a nutritious Lärabar.

We got a late start for the 60-mile ride to Wiggins, MS. Marge's flashing light fell off the back of her bike so she had to stop and collect it up. As we cycled into the countryside, the storm-filled clouds scudded northward to spare us the severe weather they carried. The sweet aromas of tea olive trees and honeysuckle were a lovely welcome to Mississippi.

Seeing this sign didn't make the day get any better.


At nine miles we missed a turn and added about three "bonus miles" to our trip. Next we came upon a "Road Closed" sign that we had not been told about it. We proceeded on and found a local who said the road was passable. However, there was about 100-yards of gravel on both sides of the bridge that we had to walk our bikes across.

Marge walking her bike across the gravel.


Then, we came upon all the cyclists gathered around the SAG Wagon. Not a good sign! Another road closure. Another detour.

This is not a good sign when all the riders are milling around the SAG vehicle at the same time.

There was a box of fresh donuts the motel owner had given us before we left. Everyone was raving about them. I ate two! When we got our new directions we set out again. The winds had picked up and were threatening to blow me over. It was so hard that I was delighted to see the van and trailer waiting at the 30-mile mark. They encouraged us to play it safe and ride the rest of the way with them. Marge and I were only too happy to accept their invitation and join two others who were already with them.

This road really is closed and we have to make a three-mile detour.

I ate some cashews and corn nuts that I might have called lunch. When we got to the motel I decided to do our laundry, take a hot bath, and take a nap. Good choices. I felt better. The wind had not abated and the rains came as we walked across the parking lot to a Mexican restaurant. I had a chile relleno and continued to treat my frustration with a delicious flan for dessert.

When we came back to the motel, I redressed one of Lise's wounds and marveled at the improvement. Lise was impressed too. I surely ingested more calories today than I burned. Oh well!

Today was Jack Jeter's 79th birthday and I wasn't there to fête him, but Sally, our boys and lots of friends were very attentive in my stead. We turned off the lights at 9:30, listened to the thunder and watched the lightning (for a few seconds!) outside our window. It is supposed to be a beautiful day for cycling tomorrow.

2,421 miles behind us. 649 miles to pedal. 13 days to go. WOCN members, please donate!

No comments:

Post a Comment