Thursday, April 28, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 54

The day began with the temperature at 69 degrees and the humidity, 86 per cent. I had yogurt, fresh fruit, and a Lärabar for breakfast and was the first one out of the parking lot at 7:15. That would have been swell if I had gone the right direction!

I got about 5 bonus miles before getting back on the route. The predicted southeasterly winds slowed me down considerably in spots. The rain laden clouds hung low to keep us cool but dissipated by noon. It was our turn to SAG, so Marge and I split the 76 mile ride. We enjoyed pastoral scenes most of the day: cows grazing, sheep and goats munching in their pens, miniature horses, acres of pine forests, irrigation pivots watering newly planted fields, and beautiful wild flowers.

Among the most impressive sights we've seen all across the country are the County Courthouses. This is the Lafayette County Courthouse in Mayo, FL

The stench of the chicken megafarms as we passed them was a shock to the nose and reinforced my determination to remain a vegetarian! The highlight of the day was the visit to Ichetucknee Springs State Park. The water was clear, turquoise, and cold. I resisted the temptation to swim in my bike clothes. I ate my PB&J like I did yesterday: a quarter every ten miles for the first 40 miles. I had nuts and Endurolytes and lots of energy drink while riding.

So wanted to go swimming in the cold spring water!

Ichetucknee Springs State Park
It was a hot 88 degrees when we arrived in High Springs. I had an iced cold Diet Dr. Pepper when we got into our room. I don't usually do that, but it seemed like a good idea. Dinner was chicken in almond butter sauce (tofu for Lisa and me), a variation on Asian slaw, fresh cubed pineapple, and banana pudding. I had a few bites of that and deemed it too high in calories for me!

2987 miles behind us. 113 miles to pedal. 2 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment