Saturday, April 16, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 41

We began our day with the gorgeous breakfast at the St. Francisville Inn. I had spinach quiche, grits and a taste of their crepe with stewed apples. It was 49 degrees when we cycled out at 7:00 a.m. to join up with the rest of the group 12 miles down the way, where we fixed our snacks for the 88-mile day. Marge and I were determined to finish. I made two PB&J sandwiches, grabbed two energy bars and a bag of nuts, and we were on our way again.

At mile 42, we were surprised to see all the riders congregated around the SAG Wagon. There was a road closure, and the guides were off exploring alternate routes. I ate another half of the sandwich I had fixed. Soon, we were given a new route -- which added only four miles to the day.

In Denham Springs, we stopped at a convenience store, and met some lovely folks from the Baptist Church. One sweet gentleman gave me his card, and asked me to please send him a note when we were home safely.

We pedaled along one road with lots of strawberries growing -- made me drool! I was very good about drinking lots, and eating at least every hour.

We arrived at the motel at 5:30 p.m. with the odometer reading 92.6 miles! We were grinning from ear to ear.

The odometer says it all! This is the most miles I've ever ridden in one day.

I quickly showered, and put on nice clothes and shoes for the first time in six weeks. Myra Varnado had arranged a dinner with the local WOC nurses. What a delight it was to regroup with old friends, and meet new ones! I took some excellent video that will be posted in due time.






I savored the oysters and the sampler plate. Christine shared her bread pudding. We took fun pictures on and around the humongous alligator in the restaurant lobby. The two young servers at the restaurant were exceptional, and the restaurant comped my meal. What a splendid conclusion for a  memorable day  -- the longest ride I have ever done! We were back at the motel by 9:00 p.m. for a good sleep.

2,306 miles behind us. 794 to pedal. 17 days to go. 

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo for a personal BEST!! Yayyy you! That is so very cool. The mail you get (previous post) and the meetings with nurse colleagues along the way make it EXTRA special.

    ReplyDelete