Monday, April 4, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 31 Recap

We slept well sharing the bed. It was 67 degrees and overcast when we began our 93-mile ride to Bastrop. As I was just about to go to the van for breakfast, I looked up and saw Judy and Paul Watkins. They had been at the party, and now here they were to send us off from Blanco with good wishes! They live fairly close to Blanco. As they milled around, I bolted down some scrambled eggs and made my PB&J sandwich for lunch.

Judy and Paul Watkins.

Marge and I were going to split the day riding and driving the SAG Wagon. I took the first section on the bicycle. It was up and down on rolling hills. Gusting winds and rain were predicted for the afternoon. I took over driving early, so Marge would have a chance to ride on this fun Hill Country terrain. Sure enough, after she had ridden about 20 miles, the relentless head winds began. They were exhausting. The traffic was heavy, and the roads didn't have shoulders -- not a fun riding day.

Oil well pumping near Lockhart, Texas.

Marge and I concluded the long day by supporting the tenacious riders who completed the entire 93 miles in spite of the adverse conditions. It was a hot, muggy 83 degrees when they finished. Since I had eaten the PB&J sandwich in the late morning, I had tasty bean and guacamole tacos and a cup of coffee for a second lunch at 4:15 p.m.

A little patch of bluebonnets, the state flower of Texas. They bloom among the other wildflowers and grasses on the roadsides. There are very few this year because of the drought.

Linda served a divine stir fry with scads of vegetables, shrimp and tofu over brown rice. We had a bowl of fresh fruit and brownies for dessert. Yep, I resisted the brownies!

Our nephew Rob and his family stopped by to visit. They are here for a visit to their family's ranch, and drove several hours out of their way to stay in a Bastrop hotel, visit tonight and come tomorrow for the 8:30 a.m. departure. I'm so appreciative of their extraordinary effort.

1,711 miles behind us. 1,389 to pedal. 27 days to go.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderfully supportive family you have! They have gone the extra mile(s) to show you how important you are to them. That is so more than cool.

    ReplyDelete