Saturday, April 2, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 28 Recap

It was a chilly 44 degrees this morning. Linda got us started with gorgeous French toast with peaches and pecans on top, made in large pans and served in generous warm helpings.

The 49-mile ride promised to be very demanding, with lots of climbing and one very big mile-long steep hill -- and an equally-challenging descent with numerous hairpin turns. Since my beloved Jack and brother John were going to be waiting at the bike shop, and I was anxious to see them both and get my bike in for the gears to be repaired, Marge and I bumped up 24 miles in the WomanTours van.

We started our ride in Medina, the apple capital of the world -- or at least Texas! The aroma of apple pies and BBQ tempted us to linger, but we had 25 miles to ride to get to my men.

9.4 miles out, we began the really steep hill we had been told to expect. Marge and I were ready for it, but we were not ready for the three motorcycles passing us in our narrow curvy lane, and a vehicle coming from the opposite direction on this road with no shoulders. We couldn't see each other, because of the sharp curves, but we apparently got off our bikes at the same time and walked up a few hundred yards before getting back on and finishing the climb.

Imagine my surprise and delight, when we crested the hill to see my Jack and John waiting with cameras poised at the SAG Wagon. We got off the bikes, hugged and kissed, transferred our luggage into their car, and continued the 16 mile ride to the bike shop. The descent around those sharp curves was harrowing!

After giving my bike to Adam at Hill Country Bikeworks, we went across the street for a superb lunch at Mamacita's, our favorite Mexican restaurant in Kerrville. I had shrimp enchiladas and rice.

We made a quick stop at a pawn shop that also changes watch batteries, to get my Timex ticking again and finally, we drove the 13 miles to our little summer cabin on the Guadalupe River. It was 85 degrees when we arrived.

Jack had the house sparkling clean, and dressed with flowers and a welcome sign. While Marge and I did our laundry, we enjoyed the afternoon coffee Jack made for us. My cousin Anne drove up from San Antonio with a delicious supper of shrimp salad, chicken salad, tossed salad and hearty bread for us all. My brother presented us with a sinfully good chocolate cake with "Great Ride" written on top. My cousin Dick arrived from Austin with a special treat called "Miles of Chocolate" and ginger snaps in the shape of Texas. We chatted briefly before going to bed.



My cousins Anne and Dick, whose little summer cabin is next to ours, drove in for the evening -- and the party!   

Tomorrow will be a busy rest day with haircuts for Marge and me, and a big party with all sorts of friends and family at our cabin. Today, we officially marked the midpoint of the trip, with fewer miles ahead than behind us. It is hard to believe we've ridden so far!

1,553 miles behind us. 1,547 to pedal. 30 days to go.

1 comment:

  1. That was quite a day and ended on a spectacular note - the party tomorrow (actually today as I write this) should be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete