Friday, April 8, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 34 Recap

We had our rest day in the lovely little town of Navasota, population 8,000. We slept in until 7:00 a.m. My cousin Elizabeth drove me to Walmart to buy some cards, and then to the post office to get some mail on its way. When we returned, I ate two yummy rice balls made by Elizabeth's husband, who is Japanese. That was breakfast!

iPad poised. It's important to make every minute of our "rest day" count! Marge is writing her blog while doing laundry. 
 

Leah, 10, was fascinated with how easy it was for her to pick up my lightweight bike. They went off on their educational tours, and Marge and I did our laundry and caught up on some emails.

Leah has no trouble lifting my carbon bike.
 

We walked the 1.5 miles into town for lunch at the locals' favorite, The Filling Station, and joined six of our group who had arrived earlier. I had a fried catfish and shrimp combo, iced tea and a root beer float. Shame, shame! I was glad we were walking back.

The waitresses took good care of us at The Filling Station!
 

We stopped by several of the historic homes, took pictures and read the plaques by the front doors. One was the Terrell House -- and my grandparents were Terrells! We stopped into Walmart for a few more necessities, and hurried back to the motel.

The Terrell House is for sale. Wonder if some of my ancestors were the original owners.

The beautiful old Sangster home was built in 1902.


My completely-repaired bike arrived about the same time we did. I will wait to ride it until tomorrow. I just know it will shift perfectly from now on!

After a short nap, we enjoyed our 4:00 coffee, and I ate the last two rice balls. We prepared the SAG Wagon for tomorrow's run, with ice in the cooler and plenty of snacks in the trays. We had ramen noodles in the cup for dinner. It will be good to return to Linda's healthy cuisine tomorrow!

Waiting for the laundry to dry.
 

Five of us gathered to watch American Idol. Oh, who will be sent home Thursday night? This may be only the second time I've seen television since March 4.

We're all cheering for our favorite to be the next American Idol! I love Scotty, but I think Pia will win.
 

Yes, I've heard Jack may not be getting a paycheck if our government shuts down. I can't be worrying about worldly woes and cycling at the same time. Tomorrow comes early.

24 days to go.


1 comment:

  1. I loved the pictures of bikers and your interesting narratives as usual - but the pics of the old houses just made my day. I love old houses and these are very nice ones - how interesting that they might have been in your family.

    ReplyDelete