Monday, April 4, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 29 Recap

A day of gratitude, joy, and wonder. I was so grateful to wake up in my own bed in our little summer cabin next to my dear man. Marge enjoyed the privacy of our guest room. We eased into the morning with coffee and our devotionals and a brief visit with next door cousins, Anne and Dick.

I grabbed a banana and Marge and I were off to Kerrville for long planned haircuts and a trip to the Verizon store, this time for her needs! While we were gone the party hosts were busy preparing for the guests. When we returned there were pans of vegetable lasagna, BBQ heating, salads, beans, fresh fruit, cakes, key lime pie, iced tea and lemonade laid out on picnic tables. Bouquets of flowers added such a festive air.


The hosts with the most: Jack and my brother, John.
Dear friends, family, neighbors, and old friends from my childhood came to celebrate. Three classmates from my school days in San Antonio drove up. One brought her daughter and granddaughter, both of whom are very special to me. A couple we have adored since he was a football star at West Point decades ago drove over too.

Three high school classmates, with the daughter and granddaughter of one, surprised me completely by driving 65 miles from San Antonio.

The GRATITUDE I felt for the party planners and the celebrants who came touched my soul. I was so honored and appreciative of everyone's attention and interest and of the sweet friends who brought most of the good food.


High school classmate Linda Williams, her daughter and granddaughter.

One cute childhood chum couldn't come but amplified our menu with treats brought by the caterer. Thank you, Maria! My long time friend Anne Glenn and my cousin Clare contributed very generously to the WOCN Scholarship Fund.

Anne Glenn and I played with Toni Dolls when we were little girls during the summers in Hill Country.

It is impossible to describe the JOY of those three hours of fun and fellowship with people for whom I care so deeply.

My sweet brother presented me with a colorful Hill Country bike shirt. I'll wear it so proudly for years to come.

Adam & Lisa at Hill Country Bicycle Works are working on my bike on our rest day.

We packed up and drove to the hotel where the rest of our group was ensconced. We had arranged for a private tour of an imposing cross that has been erected on I-10. The artist and several of his Foundation Board members picked us up and took us to the hill outside of Kerrville where we gathered at the base of the cross for an explanation of the project and mighty prayers. I was filled with WONDER that this opportunity presented itself at the exact halfway point of our trip.

The Empty Cross on I-10 was envisioned and designed by artist Max Greiner, Jr. We were fortunate to have a private presentation and prayers by Max and his staff. The cross is 77'7" tall. What a perfect way to celebrate the mid-point of this journey.

I'm filled with WONDER that we are going to be embarking on the second half of our journey tomorrow. After a quiet dinner with Jack, Marge, my brother and his wife, Marty, who had just arrived from Sun Valley, Idaho. Marge and I went to our hotel room to resume the rhythm of the ride and the schedule.

What a day of gratitude, joy, and wonder!


2 comments:

  1. Now that sounds like the perfect party - food, flowers, friends, what else could you ask for? It is such a treasure to maintain childhood friendships over a lifetime. How special that this celebration came at the pricise mid-point of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - I DO know how to spell "precise"

    ReplyDelete