Friday, April 22, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 47 Recap

After a lovely rest, it was back on the bike again. Linda cooked us a full breakfast in the condo. I had scrambled eggs and oatmeal. I was to drive the SAG Wagon the first half of our 60-mile day to Pensacola. I left the condo at 7:15 to be first in line for the 8:00 ferry.


American flag and the Alabama state flag waving as we prepared to leave for Florida.

Patiently waiting for the ferry!

The temperature was 74 degrees and the humidity was 83 percent. The ferry ride across the mouth of the Mobile Bay was 45 minutes. The ticket taker gave us a break and charged $4.50 for bikers instead of $5.00 for pedestrians!

We crossed over the intercoastal highway.

 We passed fairly close to a couple of natural gas rigs. Pelicans were waiting to welcome us on the other side. I stopped for the cyclists at about 18 miles and then again at the "Welcome to Florida" sign. I knew we'd all want a picture of that momentous occasion. Marge and I switched there and I rode on to Pensacola.

This was an exciting and emotional moment for all of the riders.

I stopped at Bikes Plus where Eric was waiting to try his hand at getting all my gears shifting. I left the bike with him and Marge and I joined several other cyclists at a fun restaurant on the water. We each had crawfish etouffee and thought it was delicious. I was glad to leave that PB&J in the bag for tomorrow!

When we got to the motel we were surprised and delighted to see that Carol Breamer, a WOC nurse and Sean McMillen from Hollister, Inc. had welcome signs and a tub of iced cold drinks. They came back after dinner and brought delicious Whoopee Pies and coffee from Panera Bread. We were all thrilled.

A refreshing welcome when we arrived in Pensacola!

Like all versatile WOC nurses, Joan pitched in to dry the dishes. We had quite a party with members of the UOAA chapter, WOC nurses, the KCI rep, Amanda Brignac from Convatec. We even had Brittany, who hopes to get a scholarship to attend Emory. The UOAA Chapter of Pensacola honored its WOC nurses with a $225.00 contribution to the Scholarship Fund.

Amanda Brignac representing Convatec, one of our corporate sponsors.

Carol Breamer, a Pensacola WOC nurse, and Sean McMillen from Hollister, Inc. sure do know how to host a celebration!

It was a marvelous day, and my bike was pronounced fixed and delivered back to me at the motel by our guide, Carol.  Dear friends of mine, Bernie and Anita Wall from Brewton, AL, drove in to welcome me shortly after we got to the motel. Our friendship goes all the way back to West Point in the 70s.

My dear friends, Bernie and Anita Wall from Brewton, AL drove in to welcome me shortly after we got to the motel.

2,592 miles behind us. 508 miles to pedal. 9 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment