Wednesday, April 6, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 33 Recap

It was a perfect day to cycle the 69 miles from La Grange to Navasota. It was the perfect way to ride some of the Independence Trail that the early settlers rode in the 1800s. And it was the perfect way to see and savor the Texas I have never known -- East Texas, so verdant and lush.

It was 41 degrees when the cyclists set out at 7:45 a.m. I stoked up with a bowl of oatmeal and some scrambled eggs. As we came to the towns of Warrenton and Round Top, I was amazed by the miles and miles of tents and booths that had been an antique fair the weekend before. Traffic lanes were set apart, and signs erected and Port-a- Potties all along the way gave evidence to what an enormous event this is every April and October.

When lunch time came, I realized I had forgotten to make a sandwich, so a Clif Bar had to suffice. I also had forgotten to refill the water in my Camelback! Fortunately, I had more in the bottle on my bike -- it was just a matter of stopping to transfer it.

On down the way, I was thinking I wasn't riding fast enough, and then I realized that I didn't want to go any faster, because I didn't want to rush through the sights, sounds and sweet smells on our route.





A mighty oak marks the beginning of a four-mile ride down the bucolic William Penn Roadon the way to Navasota. 

About 10 miles from Navasota, I detoured to the Washington on the Brazos State Park. My wonderful cousin Elizabeth brought her daughters, Leah and Emily, all the way from Dallas to see me and learn about Texas' independence from Mexico in 1836 and, tomorrow, how the famous Blue Bell ice cream is made (since 1907) right nearby in Brenham. We arrived in the park at exactly the same time. What are the chances? There, we watched a wonderful video and spent time in the museum getting to know more about the men and circumstances that created the Republic of Texas. John Steinbeck wrote, in Travels with Charley: "Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Texas is a nation in every sense of the word." I belong to a legion of Texans who are enamored with our state! Elizabeth and her girls were booked in at the same motel. Again, what are the chances?




They went out for dinner with old friends, and we enjoyed mashed sweet potatoes covered with some black bean Cuban concoction and a tossed salad. Dessert was a heavily-iced carrot cake for one of our group who was celebrating her 50th birthday. Leah, 10, returned just in time to help get the dishes done. I called my Jack to wish him Happy 53rd wedding anniversary, and thank him for the adorable card that was waiting when we checked in. I would say this was the best day yet, but I'm thinking I say that every day! Tomorrow we rest in Navasota.
1,821 miles behind us. 1,279 to pedal. 25 days to go.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving how "bicycle time" is so different from "real" time. Happy Anniversary - I hope you celebrate many more.

    ReplyDelete