Monday, April 11, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 37 Recap

There was heavy dew on the car this morning. That's a big change from the dry desert mornings in our past. And our clothes aren't drying like they used to!

I fueled up for the 77-mile ride with a big bowl of oatmeal and packed my PB&J and some nuts for the long day. It was 68 degrees, with a light breeze, as we pedaled east toward Louisiana.


This shrine was in front of a home. The plaque says it is Jesus of East Texas.

Three miles before leaving Texas, we popped into a store that sold postcards, which we hadn't been able to find anywhere for days. They were also well-stocked with a full complement of Texas-style bling. The dazzling purses and belts would knock your eyes out! 





Texas women love their bling. Look at these handbags.

Look at these glitzy belts!

I found out at about 3:00 p.m., as the temperature hovered near 90, I didn't have enough food, water or energy drink. We stopped at a convenience store that was deliciously cool inside. I bought the biggest bottle of Gatorade they sold. Marge bought a turkey and cheese sandwich and gave me her PB&J. Julia and Mary, who worked there, were happy to give us lots of crushed ice and water.

It took us until 4:30 to finish, but we were thrilled to have achieved another personal best -- our longest ride ever.

Dinner was gorgeous grilled salmon, couscous, bean salad, spinach salad and Eli's cheesecake from Chicago, sent by one of last year's riders. I resisted.

2,037 miles behind us. 1,063 to pedal. 21 days to go.


1 comment:

  1. Dating myself here, but I once saw a woman in Dallas with "JR's my Sugar Daddy" written in rhinestones on the back pocket of her jeans.

    Yayyyy for personal bests!!

    ReplyDelete