Monday, April 11, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 36 Recap

It was 67 degrees, and getting revved up to be hot and muggy, when we began our 64-mile ride to Silsbee -- our last stop in Texas. I had oatmeal and a hard boiled egg for breakfast, and packed a PB&J (and some nuts, too!) for lunch.

You know you're still in Texas when a "Share the Road" sign depicts a motorcycle.

Marge and I were up to SAG, so we planned to split the day in half so we'd each get a decent ride. As I was checking my tires, the little end of the stem blew out of the tube, which required a tire change. Better a flat in the parking lot than out on the road!

Fellow rider, Diane, got a flat tire from this hook.  No one can believe this large piece of wire, resembling a fish hook, worked its way all the way through one of her tires. It didn't become apparent until the tube that went flat was removed. (The penny is for size reference).

Since I got a late start, I decided our original plan wasn't going to work. I would be late to the first SAG stop, and then fall further behind to the midpoint where we were going to switch places. I called Marge to say it seemed best to switch roles at the 23-mile stop, and I would hurry so as not to delay her start. I only did one-third of today's ride, but it was a personal best for me at an average of 13 miles per hour!

The beauties were the butterflies of several varieties fluttering from one new spring blossom to another.


A beautiful butterfly.

More butterflies!

The beasts were the lumber trucks passing in both directions spewing bits and pieces of the tree bark in their wake.

These are the beasts. We were glad to see the driver tighten down his load before getting on the highway with us.

The roads today had no shoulders so we had to share with these behemoths.

Looks like the logs are about to leave the flatbed!

It was in the mid-80s and oh-so humid when we arrived in Silsbee. Once we checked into the motel, we went to the Sonic next door for lunch. I drank mine! I had a mocha flavored Java Chiller. It was divine.

Tomorrow's ride is 67 miles to Lake Charles, LA. I hope I can pedal off all those scrumptious calories! I've saved today's PB&J for tomorrow.

We did our laundry, caught up on emails, and rallied around for a wonderful dinner of pork roast, scalloped potatoes, tossed salad and fresh cubed watermelon. Linda even served rosemary focaccia, which I resisted.

Dressed for dinner on our last night in Texas in my Texas hangdown.

Cycling is good for the figure!

1,960 miles and four states behind us. 1,140 miles to pedal. 22 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment