Wednesday, April 27, 2011

According to Katherine: Day 49

We woke up this morning to the realization that we have only one more week on this amazing adventure. We are all overcome with myriad emotions.

It was a long, hot, humid day! When we began the 94-mile ride to Marianna it was 68 degrees and so the humidity was 93 percent. The temperature would get to the high 80s. It is always much hotter on the pavement.

I had a little yogurt and a little oatmeal for breakfast, and packed the PB&J sandwich, energy bar and nuts to sustain us for the ride and the heat. Marge and I figured how to ride half and SAG half of the day and it worked perfectly.

I was savoring a wonderful ride until two large, barking dogs ran out beside me. I saw there were no cars behind me and pedaled out into Highway 90 as fast as I could. Once they retreated I returned to the bike lane. I had to get off my bike until the quivering dissipated. I was so thankful that I had stayed upright and that the dogs had not chased me any farther. I have promised Jack Jeter that all my doggie desires have disappeared. He's relieved and thankful.

The second SAG stop was beside a flower shop and the ladies were so nice to let us use their restroom. We were beginning to pour water on one another to cool off. The third SAG stop was under a huge shade tree beside a day care. We all tiptoed in to use the bathroom without disturbing the sleeping cherubs. We poured more water on each other outside.

Jack sent Marge, Lisa, and me the neck coolers from Wal-Mart that are filled with superabsorbent. Great things for biking and hiking.   The length of the ride and the heat of the day provided the perfect excuse for another Mocha Java Chiller at the Sonic a mile or two before the motel.    Robbie Sharpe, the indefatigable CWOCN from Tallahassee, had arranged a really big "do" with nurses, administrators, physicians, and others at a restaurant near the hotel. I rode over so she could take a picture when we arrived. We saw a black cloud and heard some thunder just before dinner, but the rain never came.

One of the goals of the journey was to raise awareness about WOC nursing. Morgan, a reporter from the Jackson County Times in Marianna, FL, was interviewing me for a story. 
We have been so blessed. After our healthy meal of real and tofu BBQ and salads, I joined the mutidisciplinary gathering at the restaurant to talk about the importance of the WOC specialty and to encourage young Shanna Watson, who will start the WebWOC program next month. I was so happy to be recumbent at the end of that long, hot, happy day!


Shanna Watson from Marianna, FL will begin the WebWOC program through Metropolitan State University on May 9, 2011. She deserves scholarship funds!
2755 miles behind us. 345 miles to pedal. 7 days to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment